Home » Thesis Worksheet

Thesis Worksheet

To begin writing your thesis, ask yourself a question about your subculture that you want to answer. The question should be specific to your subculture and your relationship to it. The example on the assignment sheet discusses Instagram poets, also known as Instapoets

Based on this, we can infer that a subculture I belong to is poet. Belonging to this subculture means that I have either in the past and/ or currently engage in the act of writing poetry. As a poet who was schooled and began writing before Instagram existed, the question I asked myself was: Are Instapoets helpful or harmful to the poetry community? 

Your answer then becomes your thesis! 

Your answer does have to be simply yes or no; it can be more nuanced. Instagram poets are not being published in the traditional mediums and manners; however, because of this new platform a larger audience is being introduced to the value of poetry.

The answer to the question shows extended knowledge about my subculture, the issue I want to discuss, and the position I want to take.

Here is a formula for writing a thesis:

Narrowed topic/ subculture + position/stance = thesis statement (argument)           

(because)

Thesis Statement Checklist 

Before Writing My Thesis Statement

□ I am aware of my audience,  purpose, and context. 

Audience:_Classmates and Professor(Possibly Alysse) _______________________________________________ 

Purpose: ____To educate people on the nature of the deadhead subculture and to show them that they are not just a bunch of hippies, but a vibrant subculture people can take inspiration from. ____________________________________________

Context: ____I have both an insider(I know over 100 people who are deadheads including multiple relatives and friends) and an outsider perspective(I am not one myself), giving me a unique perspective on the matter._____________________________________________

□ I have formed a question based on my topic and I have a logical answer I can support. 

Topic:__The Grateful Dead/Deadhead subculture _________________________________________________________________ 

Question:___Are the Grateful Dead washed-out hippies or are they something more? ____________________________________________________________________________________________ 

My Answer/Opinion: ____They are clearly something more, as they are a vibrant subculture. __________________________________________________________________________________

□ There is enough evidence to prove my point with multiple supporting ideas.

Yes.

□ I have approached the topic fairly and without bias. I haven’t let my personal beliefs interfere with the facts. 

I have limited my personal beliefs as much as possible. They have not interfered with the facts.

Yes.

Writing My Thesis Statement

□ I have written a trial thesis statement based on the information from “Before Writing My Thesis Statement.”

Yes.

My trial thesis statement: 

(1)____The Deadheads, although grown out of the counterculture movement of the 1960s, is not a bunch of washed-out hippie drug addicts but a vibrant subculture with rituals, behaviors, locations, exclusive terms, and even subcultures within subcultures that concertgoers can use to improve the quality of their social life by making a subculture of their own band and artists can use to improve profits on their show by making a loyal fandom with live music, something more important than ever due to the proliferation of pirating. _________________________________________________________________________

(2) 

Deadheads, although born out of the counterculture movement of the 1960s, are not a bunch of washed-out hippies but a vibrant subculture with rituals, behaviors, locations, jargon, and even a pseudo-religious aspect, potentially inspiring concertgoers of other fandoms can use to improve the quality of their social life through making a subculture like the Deadheads, and artists can use to make a Deadhead-esque subculture. __________________________________________________________________________________ 

(3)__________________________________________________________________________________

□ My thesis statement is limited to one main idea.

My one main idea:____Deadheads, although born out of the counterculture movement of the 1960s, are not a bunch of washed-out hippies but a vibrant subculture with rituals, behaviors, locations, jargon, and even a pseudo-religious aspect. This subculture, through its influence and cohesion inspires concertgoers of other fandoms to improve the quality of their social life through making a subculture like the Deadheads, and artists can use it to make a Deadhead-esque subculture. ________________________________________________________________________

□ My thesis statement is short, simple, and clear.

No.

□ My thesis statement is a single declarative sentence with no qualifiers (might, maybe, perhaps, probably, kind of, really, most, I think, etc.)

No.

□ Do I answer the question from my topic clearly?

Yes.

□ My thesis is specific and can’t be misinterpreted.

Yes.

□ Does my thesis pass the “So what?” test? If the reader’s first response is, “So . . . what’s your point?” or “So what—who cares?” then I need to clarify, to forge a relationship, or to connect to a larger issue. What’s the story? Where is the culture?

Yes.

□ My thesis statement is debatable or informative.

Yes.

□ My thesis statement indicates the direction of my argument or stance on the topic.

Yes.

□ I have written my revised thesis statement based on the information from “Writing My Thesis Statement.”

Yes.

My thesis statement: _Deadheads, although born out of the counterculture movement of the 1960s, are not a bunch of washed-out hippies but a vibrant subculture with rituals, behaviors, locations, jargon, and even a pseudo-religious aspect. This subculture, through its influence and cohesion inspires concertgoers of other fandoms to improve the quality of their social life through making a subculture like the Deadheads, and artists can use it to make a Deadhead-esque subculture. _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Final Evaluation of My Thesis Statement—Done After the Rough Draft

□ My position on the topic has been clearly defended.

yes

□ My essay supports my thesis specifically and without wandering—every supporting paragraph clearly ties back to my thesis.

yes

□ After the rough draft, I have made necessary changes to my thesis.

My final thesis statement:__

While people may think that Deadheads are a group of washed-out hippies, as the stereotypes about them say, they are a vibrant subculture with rituals, behaviors, and a religious aspect.__________________________________________________________________