Home » Interview Essay Peer Reviews

Interview Essay Peer Reviews

Peer Review #1
Responding to Esther Rodriguez’s Interview Paper
RE: Peer Review – Zachary Rosman on Esther’s Interview Report – Better Paragraphs

Hi Esther,

Your paper was very good. To shorten the length of the report, I would cut from two locations: the description and the limitations section. Specifically, I think you ramble on too much about Harry Styles in the first section. I would also suggest reducing the conclusion section, as part of it is unnecessary, with excessive detail there. The thought progression of the paragraphs was very clear and logical. The essay flowed very smoothly throughout. It felt a bit redundant at parts, but otherwise, it was excellent.  Finally, your essay does an excellent job at delving into your informant’s subculture. I learned plenty of intriguing things about Harry Styles and his fandom. I also learned a few of your thoughts about it, something that intrigued me. Your explanation is thorough on Harry Styles impacting Jennifer Ahmed’s life by showing how positive change is coming out of her and her open-mindedness.

Your headings and subheadings should be changed. A “Harry Styles Subculture” should be changed to a Harry Styles song title or lyrics that fit the interview’s spirit. I do not know what “Insinuations” mean, but I think “Researching my Assumptions the Harry Styles Phenomenon” or a Harry Styles song lyric is preferable. “The Ahmed interview” should be split into multiple sections, with each being Harry Styles titles or lyrics fit for that section. “What I Have Concluded” should be replaced with a simple “Conclusion” or using a relevant Harry Styles lyric, and “If Only I Had More Time” should be replaced with a Harry Styles lyric about or related to that topic.

Another suggestion for improvement is that you should sprinkle in some quotes in certain areas of your essay. Throughout it, there are no quotes, and sections such as “It is interesting to hear that when she smiled and said that having a role model, like Harry Styles, in her life who is doing impressive things such as singing, acting, and just coming out of their comfort zone, makes her see that if he can try new things and be successful with it then so can she,” would be more important if you had a quote from your transcript that said it directly, rather than you saying it indirectly.

That said, overall, your essay was very good. The paper felt more like a story than an essay. I was intrigued throughout, and your storytelling skills are second to none—your essay pops with language. For example, the passage, “I had the pleasure of interviewing Jennifer Ahmed, a 19-year-old, Bengali American, music-loving, college freshman adapting to virtual adulthood. Her tastes of music have guided her to appreciating the rhythmic senses of Harry Styles. She finds Harry Styles to be one of the more admirable people in her life and as she stated he is ‘one of her favorite people'” descriptively discusses who she is and a bit on her liking of Harry Styles. While that concept may be boring in a normal essay, you revitalize it by stacking on detail after detail, making it pop. Also, you mostly removed your biases about Harry Styles, yet you are still a major force within the interview, deeply reflecting in the quote, “After speaking with Ahmed, I can say that I have learned a lot of the person she was, is, and wants to be in the future. I now see that Styles does deserve the title of being an admirable person because he does all these things to be such a positive influence in today’s youth through his talents, specifically towards Ahmed and the way he has impacted her and her life. I learned that her appreciation toward Styles is much more than just a fandom, instead he is a role model to her.” You are not overbearing about your preconceived notions about Harry Styles, but you are talking about yourself being more enlightened about him from this interview than you were previously, an optimal balance in this type of essay.

What surprised me about this essay was its quality. It was so stunningly good, and I did not know drafts could be this good. I also was surprised that I had to look long and hard for flaws, as your draft was thorough. What intrigued me was the story in the essay. I wanted to learn more about Harry Styles, despite not liking him, and was very curious about the subculture. What disturbed me was the influence Harry Styles had on Jennifer, as I am wary of young adults influencing people who only recently turned into adults, as I am afraid people like Styles might manipulate her somehow.

-Zachary Rosman

Peer Review #2
Responding to Jennifer Ahmed’s Interview Paper
RE: Interview Paper
Hi Jennifer,

Your introduction is sufficient. It thoroughly provides all context necessary for the essay, and I do not feel lost at all after your introduction. Your body paragraphs are fine. You did not write too much. I put your essay through a word counter, and it went out at 957 words, less than the word limit. You should add to your conclusion one final concluding sentence that wraps it all up. It would help if you also expanded how it better understands Esther’s subculture because, in my opinion, it is insufficient, albeit only slightly.

Some improvements you need to make are in grammar. For example, you use “tv” in lowercase instead of uppercase “TV,” or “television,” which is more proper. Also, instead of “10 long seasons” do “ten long seasons,” and “high school” instead of “highschool.” These and more could be solved through extra proofreadings and grammar checkers like Grammarly. The titles, although very good, could be a bit better, “Getting to Know Esther” could be instead “Becoming Friendly with Esther,” “Esther’s Simple Opinions on Friends,” should be “A Friendly Introduction to Friends.” “Esther’s ‘Controversial’ Takes” should be “Esther’s Hot Takes,” the title, “The Impact Friends Had on Esther’s Life,” should be instead, “Friends’ll be there for you,” which is derivative from the Friends intro song. “Conclusion” should remain the same. Finally, you are missing a limitations section, which discusses the limitations of the interview. It should be called: “Limitations: so one told you the interview was gonna be this way,” again derivative on the intro. This section should primarily discuss how Zoom limits the interview’s potential, though it should include other limitations outside of Zoom as well.

That said, the essay was very good. The paper had quotes sprinkled in, not excessive, but existent. The quote, “The most controversial question I had to ask was, ‘were Ross and Rachel on a break or did Ross cheat’? At first, Esther thought that Ross cheated, but she quickly took it back and changed her mind, putting her hands on her head in distress as she thought about it again. After a moment of laughing as she came up with an answer she went, ‘they were on a break. It wasn’t directly stated, but I think they were on a break.’” The quotes are interspersed with thoughts and answers, providing a smooth combination of commentary and quotes, establishing credibility in your paper. I also really liked the flow; even though it looks like a Q & A at first glance, it seemed like a story upon deeper examination, with the detail present, such as the quote, “When it came to Esther’s favorite character, she immediately answered Chandler with no hesitation because he’s very sarcastic and funny.” This quote, without the details, would be bland, but with the details turns it into an exciting journey into Esther’s psyche.

What surprised me was that this paper got me hooked into being interested in Friends, a show that I previously had little to no interest in, showing the efficacy of the essay. What intrigued me was the relationship dynamics in Friends. Why is it even called Friends when they are all in relationships? I am also intrigued if she had any experiences like the people on the show or not, which made her relate to them. What disturbed me is the potential for cheating suggested in the passage as, I dislike infidelity and look down on people for doing it, so the mere suggestion disturbs me greatly.

-Zachary Rosman